Every sock knitter I know has a bag full of leftover yarn – 100 grams is often more than you need for a pair, but the leftovers aren’t enough to use for another project. More than just a simple project pattern, this eBook is designed to help you make creative use of those leftovers by pairing a base skein with 100-150g of sock yarn leftovers to design a unique scarf.
By using simple math, this class will help you to approximate how many yards of leftovers that you have, as well as walk you through basic weaving math and colour theory to give you confidence in your weaving. This project uses a framework of design units to help you think about designing colour placement, and is ideal for novice weavers who are confident warping and weaving on their rigid heddle loom but want to skill up when it comes to project planning and creativity.
- Structure: Plain weave/tabby
- Equipment: Rigid Heddle or 2 harness loom with a minimum of 12” weaving width. 2 or more shuttles
- Warp and weft requirements: Fingering weight sock yarn. You need one 100g skein of a base yarn in a neutral colour, and 100-150g + of fingering weight sock yarn leftovers. The sample shown in the pattern used five different leftover balls, ranging from 21g-51g each.
- Finished dimensions: Variable – sample shown is 57″ x 10.5″
- Additional materials: Pencil, paper, pencil crayons or markers, calculator, and a digital scale
This project is geared to the beginner/novice rigid heddle weaver who is comfortable warping, weaving, and changing colours. This PDF eBook download is 14 pages long and includes 13 colours images outlining the process. There are also instructions on how to substitute yarns of different gauges/thicknesses, a primer on how to read weaving drafts, and a glossary of weaving terms.
Please note that you are not purchasing a finished scarf but a pattern to design and make your own!
As professional artist and handweaver, my goal is to develop weaving patterns that engage people in their own creativity and increase their skills and confidence through simple projects. Making beautiful woven textiles does not have to be challenging!
This download link will expire in 7 days after purchase, so please remember to save a copy! This pattern is for personal, non-commercial use only.